Sarge Jr. Getting a Look from the Phillies?’s Jim Salisbury is on the case, and says yes, the Phillies are indeed looking at Gary Matthews Jr.. It would be a minor-league deal and he would provide nothing more than some minor league depth that the Phillies have lacked in recent years.

Matthews Jr. is the son of former Phillies outfielder Gary Matthews Sr., who is currently a member of the team’s broadcast team.

Matthews Jr., a 36-year-old switch-hitter, is a veteran of 12 major league seasons. He is a career .257 hitter with 108 homers. He played in 36 games with the Mets last season and hit just .190 before being released in June. He then went on to spend a month in Cincinnati’s minor-league system.

Clearly, “Little Sarge’s” best years are behind him and it looks as though the Phillies might be throwing him a bone because of his dad’s ties to the team.

Click to comment

February 3, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Good for the Phillies throwing a bone to little Sarge. That’s the kind of move that shows they really do care about family values. That’s what Cliff Lee stated as one of the reasons he came back here.

2. tavian

February 3, 2011 at 9:22 pm

This guy plays all outfield positions. He may be a decent pinch hitter, defensive replacement/security blanket, but I really wonder if he has anything in the tank.. A switch hitter, Little Sarge is in his last harrah and might be a decent sixth outfielder. I doubt that he will get a lot of at-bats, but if most of his contract will be eaten by someone else, it wouldn’t hurt to give him an invitation to Spring Training.

3. Brooks

February 3, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Lefty, dude – I think there is some tension between Sarge and his son – this is not a family value type of issue. I have heard Sarge comment more than once about his son and it was not a compliment. It was during that one year when he had a decent season ergo my point, there is nothing left.

GM jr came up seemingly as a 5 tool guy but failed to live up to his potential. Sarge’s comments were never generated from a point of admiration or pride, it was always in response to whoever he was working with (I believe it was Wheels) and Sarge said something like he called him to give him some pointers but “you know how that goes…”

• Lefty

February 4, 2011 at 3:46 am

Seriously! I guess I hadn’t kept up with this soap opera- So why are we throwing Jr. a bone if not for the benefit of Sarge Sr.?

• Chuck

February 4, 2011 at 6:41 am

Why are we throwing him a bone BECAUSE of Sarge, Sr? Nice guy, cool hat collection….I guess he knows a little about baseball. That’s about it.

Weird move in my opinion. But, hey, how can it really hurt? You never know…

4. Ted Bell

February 4, 2011 at 3:21 am

Even with the help of HGH he’s had a very mediocre career. This would be a strange move.

I’m Ted Bell.

February 4, 2011 at 5:38 am

Off Topic- I bet the Yankees will show renewed interest in Joe B today after the Pettite presser. Nick Swisher wouldn’t look bad at all in right at CBP! .His numbers from last season – 288/.359/.511and this is his contract year when he’ll play better than ever.

• Phillistein

February 4, 2011 at 9:05 am

I doubt the Yankees would give up Swisher for Joey B. And my personal opinion is ol Joe would get eaten alive in the AL East. If it does happen look for it to be for prospects as RAJ is still looking to reload after all the trades the past two years.

6. Phillistein

February 4, 2011 at 9:01 am

Gary Matthews Jr. is to baseball what Gary Matthews Sr. is to broadcasting – Sorely Lacking.

Just sayin

• Chuck

February 4, 2011 at 9:35 am

Good one. Couldn’t have said it better myself.

7. Don M

February 4, 2011 at 10:47 am

From what I’ve seen in interviews, and heard . . . The Phillies are apparently really excited about John Mayberry Jr …… they like what he brings vs. Lefty pitchers, and they were pleased with how he handled CF on defense last year in the minors . .

I’ve always been against JM Jr… but I would LOVE to be wrong

I think he’s a fastball hitter, and nothing more

8. Ted Bell

February 4, 2011 at 11:18 am

Maybe part of Ruben Amaro Junior’s Master Plan is the construction of an All-Junior outfield. With John Mayberry Junior already in the fold and Gary Matthews Junior currently under consideration, the missing piece would seem to be Tony Gwynn Junior.

I’m Ted Bell.

9. keyloggers

July 11, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Certainly. It was and with me. We can communicate on this theme. Here or in

10. Keyloggers

July 12, 2011 at 9:02 am

In it

something is. Thanks for the information, can, I too can help you something?