The Phillies have provided the following medical updates:
· First baseman Ryan Howard (ruptured left Achilles) had his stitches removed on October 25 and has progressed to partial weight bearing. He has begun a rehabilitation program in Philadelphia.
· Third baseman Placido Polanco (sports hernia) had a follow-up exam with Dr. William Meyers on October 26 and is continuing his rehabilitation in Miami.
· Left-hander Cole Hamels had stitches removed from his left elbow (loose bodies) on October 27 and is continuing his rehabilitation program in Philadelphia. He had a follow-up exam for his hernia surgery today with Dr. Ernest Rosato and has been cleared to progress back to his off-season program as tolerated.
· Right fielder Hunter Pence (sports hernia) continues his rehabilitation program in Philadelphia. He will have a follow-up appointment with Dr. Meyers next week.
· Right-hander Jose Contreras (right forearm strain) was seen by Dr. Michael Ciccotti on October 20 and will begin isometric forearm strengthening next week. He is on track to progress to regular strengthening in the beginning of December and initiate throwing at the beginning of January.
· Ross Gload (hip) was evaluated by Dr. Bryan Kelly in New York on October 18. Dr. Kelly did not feel an arthroscopic procedure was warranted at this time. Gload was set up with an off-season rehabilitation program.