We will always be grateful for Charlie Manuel leading the Phillies to the 2008 World Series crown. “This is for Philadelphia! This is for our fans,” screamed Charlie after the Game 5-Part 2 clincher against the Tampa Bay Rays. Charlie will likely never have to pay for a beer again in the City of Brotherly Love, but we all know that he can’t manage this team forever.
Just for the heck of it we asked the fans on our Phillies Nation Facebook page which current MLB manager they would choose right now if they had to replace Charlie Manuel?
We took the ten most frequent responses (with some career achievements via Baseball Reference) and now we want your vote.
Which current MLB manager would you choose if you had to replace Charlie Manuel:
- Dusty Baker, Cincinnati Reds (3x M.O.Y. ’93, ’97 & ’00. .521% CWP in 18 years. 1 PEN).
- Ron Gardenhire, Minnesota Twins (M.O.Y. ’10. .534% CWP in 10 years).
- Kirk Gibson, Arizona Diamondbacks (M.O.Y. ’11. .522% CWP in 2 years).
- Joe Girardi, New York Yankees (M.O.Y. ’06. .570% CWP in 5 years. 1 PEN. 1 WS).
- Ozzie Guillen, Miami Marlins (M.O.Y. ’05. .524% CWP in 8 years. 1 PEN. 1 WS).
- Jim Leyland, Detroit Tigers (3x M.O.Y. ’90, ’92, & ’06. .500% CWP in 20 years. 2 PEN. 1 WS).
- Joe Maddon, Tampa Bay Rays (2x M.O.Y. ’08 & ’11. .510% CWP in 8 years. 1 PEN).
- Mike Scioscia, LA Angels (2x M.O.Y. ’02 & ’09. .548% CWP in 12 years. 1 PEN. 1 WS).
- Bruce Bochy, San Francisco Giants (M.O.Y. ’96. .497% CWP in 17 years. 2 PEN. 1 WS).
- Ron Washington, Texas Rangers (.527% CWP in 5 years. 2 PEN).
Just for comparison, CHARLIE MANUEL… (.561% CWP in 10 years. 2 PEN. 1 WS).
*M.O.Y. = Manger of the Year Award Winner
*CWP = Career Win Percentage as a manager
*PEN = number of Pennants won …
*WS= number of World Series Titles
The current manager of the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs (Phillies AAA affiliate), Ryne Sandberg, was mentioned a lot. And although he does not fit the criteria of “Current MLB Manager,” it’s safe to say that a lot of Phillies fans will be happy if Sandberg eventually takes over for Charlie Manuel. In 5 seasons as a Minor League Manager, Sandberg has a record of 364-341, good for a .516 winning percentage, and was named 2010 Manager of the Year in the Pacific Coast League, as the skipper of the Triple-A Iowa Cubs.