This is your open thread for all things having to do with the trade deadline. 4 PM is the cutoff. There’s lots of rumors and conflicting reports. Post will be updated periodically as news and rumors come in.
- The Yankees want M. Young, but it doesn’t sound like he’d approve a trade there. UPDATE: A source tells a NY Daily News reporter that Young WILL accept a trade to the Yankees.
Big, if true. Confirmed by Ken Rosenthal. There are no reports of any talks between the teams at this time, though. Rosenthal says it is certainly plausible that this is simply a posturing move. UPDATE: Rosenthal now says that Young is indeed interested in going to the Yankees.
- 4 PM is here and M Young is still a Phillie.
- A Red Sox reporter says it is doubtful that the Red Sox will trade for Young. UPDATE: Another is reporting that there are NO talks between Philadelphia and Boston regarding Young. UPDATE #2: According to Joel Sherman, league executives believe that there are talks.
- Young to the Rangers is dead. It’s Yankees or bust.
- Peter Gammons suggests that the Red Sox’s interest in Young isn’t a certainty.
- Pure speculation, but the gut feeling of Evan Grant is that the Rangers will land Young.
- Ruben Amaro Jr. said that Lee will not be traded, and that a M. Young deal isn’t likely. (Take that with an enormous grain of salt. No GM will go on TV and show their hand a day before the deadline.) (Link)
- Yadier Molina went down with a pretty serious injury last night. The Cardinals, however, will not be looking to trade for a replacement. Carlos Ruiz was the subject of some rumors. UPDATE: There is now conflicting reports on this subject, as the Cardinals may be in the market for a catcher after all. Ruiz’s struggles this season could scare the Cardinals away, however.
- Cody Asche was called up yesterday, in what people thought could be a precursor to a Michael Young trade. Matt Gelb suggested that Young is either traded or will be a bench player. He says Asche is here to play every day.