After a ninth-inning loss Tuesday, the Philadelphia Phillies will look to win game three of their four-game series against the Chicago Cubs Wednesday evening. In order to do so, they’ll need to get by old friend Cole Hamels. Taking the mound for the Phillies will be rookie Cole Irvin.
Hamels had a storied career in Philadelphia, winning the 2008 World Series MVP and finishing sixth all-time in wins for the franchise, as well as fourth in bWAR. Hamels is 4-0 in his first nine starts of 2019, so he’ll provide an interesting challenge for the Phillies offense.
In his last start, Irvin went six innings, giving up three runs while striking out two batters in a win. In this series, Phillies starting pitchers have gone 12 innings while allowing just two runs. Irvin will look to keep that hot streak going.
Phillies Starting Lineup
- Andrew McCutchen, left field
- Jean Segura, shortstop
- Bryce Harper, right field
- Rhys Hoskins, first base
- J.T. Realmuto, catcher
- Cesar Hernandez, second base
- Scott Kingery, center field
- Maikel Franco, third base
- Cole Irvin, pitcher
Cubs Starting Lineup
- Kyle Schwarber, left field
- Kris Bryant, right field
- Anthony Rizzo, first base
- Javier Baez, short stop
- Willson Contreas, catcher
- Albert Almora Jr., center field
- Addison Russell, second base
- David Bote, third base
- Cole Hamels, pitcher
Shibe Vintage Sports Pitching Matchup
- Cole Irvin (2-0, 2.77 ERA) vs Cole Hamels (4-0, 3.13 ERA)
- Since being acquired by the Cubs last July, Hamels has a 2.68 ERA and 1.12 WHIP in 21 starts, per Ryan Lawrence.
- This will be Cole Hamels’ first start against the Phillies since they traded him to the Texas Rangers in July of 2015. Since then, Hamels has gone 46-24 for the Rangers and Cubs. Ironically, the Phillies will be facing him in the park where Hamels pitched his last game for Philadelphia, which was a no-hitter.
Pregame Phillies Nuggets
- Bryce Harper has a history with Hamels, as he was intentionally hit by him when he first faced the pitcher way back in 2012. In 42 plate appearances against Hamels, Harper has eight hits, eight walks and a single RBI.
- There are only a slim number of current Phillies who have faced Hamels in more than 10 at-bats. In addition to Harper, Andrew McCutchen has a .296 average in 27 at-bats, while Jean Segura has a .273 average in 22 at-bats.
- Cubs third baseman Kris Bryant is hitting .338 with eight home runs and 19 RBIs in 71 at-bats in May.
- Wrigley Field
- 8:05 p.m. ET
- TV: NBC Sports Philadelphia
- Radio: SportsRadio 94 WIP, WTTM 1680 (Spanish)